Monday, March 9, 2015

Life in Notts

I have been here just over two months now and I can personally say time is FLYING by! It feels like I am still settling in and trying to meet people, and before I know it I will be gone!
photo creds: google




Outside my house
University has been going pretty well. I have four days of classes for two modules. I have a seminar and lecture for each of these classes and very rarely will we have the same lecturer for more than one class (I hope that made sense, its been a long day). My seminars have about twenty students in them each while my lectures have a hundred or so. I have found that although some lectures can be quite boring, others can be rather interesting especially abroad as many of the lecturers are from a variety of countries and bring an interesting insight to the class. My International Business and Communication class is like this, where each lecture we have an hour with our usual lecturer and an hour with a guest lecturer who can bring some insight onto our subject and relate it to their home country. This has been something I have enjoyed since being here, as it is something different to learn especially since I want to do as much traveling as I can.

I am having a little trouble understanding one of my seminar tutors (teachers) who is from Nigeria and isn't well-spoken. She often has trouble explaining thoughts clearly and has caused that specific class to become very irritating to attend. But, I push through!

Spring is near!
The classes are structured very differently out here where we are encouraged to attend each lecture and seminar and are given little class prep-work/ homework. Our grades for the end of the year are 100% based off of our final exam, which make me pretty nervous as I am still trying to find ways to prep and learn during the week (wish I had mastered this earlier). I have found that re-writing my notes is helpful but not so much for accounting where I could really use some practice out side of our two hour class.

Besides classes, the weather has been warming up! Rained all day today just a spitting, sad rain, but overall has been sweater-weather! I still bring a coat everywhere just in case the weather changes while I am in class or the gym but the mornings have proven to be absolutely lovely!

I did some exploring this weekend around town (finally) and really need to go out and see beyond the city center. Not sure why I never did that before but I am terrible at finding my way! I absolutely loved what I saw of the town though and still need to get some cheesy tourist photos with the castle and Robinhood statue.

My walk to uni
This week has kept me pretty busy; or the last two weeks I should say, sorry for not posting sooner. I have started my online Micro Economics course and am trying to complete it faster than the track they have set for me, which means doubling my work load. I have also completely booked my friend and I a six day trip to Poland for March 17-22! We will be flying into Warsaw where we will be for a few days, then will be taking a train to Poznan where my Polish royal family has some burials from the 10th century, and then that evening will be taking a train to Krakow where we will be for three days. We will be doing a day trip to Auschwitz as well. It will be a lot of traveling but a real-life educational experience.

Portland, England
This week, I also booked my second week of spring break. The first week will be spent with the NTU Mountaineering club that I joined doing a week of climbing in Portland, England. The second week will be spent in both Berlin, Germany and Prague, Czech Republic. Then, just a few short weeks later mom and dad will be coming to see me!!!!!!! #beyondexcited



And after that I have a few exams and bam! My first uni abroad will be over with and on comes the worldly travels!

Now, I must get back to school (uni) work in order to finish before all of the big exams and family visits!

X Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment