Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Bologna, Italy



After an early morning in Milan and a quick snooze on the train, I arrived in Bologna, Italy; a cute little Italian town not bred for tourism but for the love and the art of cooking. My hostel was just a fifteen minute walk from the train station and was more of a bed and breakfast than a hostel. The woman who ran the place treated all of us like family, even though she didn't know us. The place was always extremely clean and felt like home just walking into the building. It was located directly next to a supermarket where some of the girls and I bought a few things (fresh tortellini) to cook for the evening. I was only there two nights, but would recommend if anyone wants a good hostel for Bologna, that they stay in Il Nosadillo, just minutes from anywhere and everywhere in the city.



















Bologna was extremely different than Milan. The pace of life, the city architecture, the city's style was not as hectic and high strung as in Milan. Most people took the time to try and communicate even with the language barrier. If they, themselves, couldn't speak English, they would find a customer or co-worker who could in order to better assist me. I truly appreciated this. My first full day there was spent walking around the town, taking photos, and purposely getting lost. The town was much smaller than Milan and I was able to see all of the notable monuments and statues within a day. My last evening in Milan I invested in a pay-as-you-go SIM card so that I could communicate better with my family as well as save myeslef some time and stress by not getting lost so much, so finding my way around Bologna was made even easier by this, though it wasn't a difficult place to navigate.


Top of the door to the cathedral


Piazza Maggiore
Within several hours of wandering I was able to happen upon many beautiful sights along with the famous statue of Neptune as well as the Bologna Cathedral, Cattedrale di San Pietro.

Statue of Neptune
Later that evening, I arrived back at my hostel where a couple of girls from England were also staying. It turned out it was one of the girl's 21st birthday so we all went out into the town and celebrated at an Irish pub we found that seemed popular. It was a great night and such a great experience to be able to just meet such interesting and sweet people and be able to hang out with them like you are all long-time friends! That is such a great part of the hostel and travel experience; the people you meet.

The second day I spent trying to track down a popular med-spa I had read about in order to treat myself a bit and experience an Italian spa. But, on the way there I happened into a store/workshop of a local leather-worker and ended up spending my spa money there.....sorry dad. #SoWorthIt
Tiniest cup of coffee...ever



The spa was overpriced anyways.


That night the girls and I got some dinner and said our goodbyes as I headed out in the morning to Venice!



Church I stumbled upon

Quaint streets

Gorgeous, and random fountain on street corner

Really cool mirrored walkway

Over top building in the Piazza Maggiore
To die for Lasagna
 Bologna was a quaint little town with such amazing culture and energy. But best of all was the food! If anything, I would advise people to go through Bologna just to spend a full day eating and taking a cooking class or two!

No comments:

Post a Comment