Thursday, February 19, 2015

Stonehenge and Bath in a day

On Saturday, February 7th I took a bus trip with two of the girl's from my university in Arizona with a hundred or so other international students from Nottingham Trent University and the University of Nottingham to the historical Stonehenge and the city of Bath.
Stonehenge
Our first stop on the bus trip was Stonehenge, the site of the historical burial grounds of just over 200 individuals around 3000 BC. We only had about an hour here (and some might want to double check my facts) but it was extremely bitterly cold out. It was an amazing site to see such a historical place built without modern technology and something that is still standing today.



Our next stop was the city of Bath located in south England. This city is famously known for its Roman baths that are the only source of natural spring water from the earth core in the UK.

When the Romans settled in England in 60AD (again, feel free to check my facts) they founded this source of healing water to which they dug pools for the sick and ill to bathe in. They dedicated these pools to the Roman Goddess Minerva and held many animal sacrifices there as well as healing rituals in the pools and temples.


Bros in Bath



We spent several hours here; it was well-worth the entrance fee. I hope to eventually go back as I would love to be able to see more of the cute town, but unfortunately we were on the bus's schedule. The history and beauty of these two places are astounding and I would recommend them to anyone who would like to learn a bit about the history of our ancestors.
My favorite thing I have found on these trips is just to walk around, absorb the history, and take photos of it all. :) Enjoy!




The original source of the mineral water



Sacrificing Podium(what's left)

Next my friend Bailey and I are headed to Cardiff, Wales!

No comments:

Post a Comment